Official Description: The Support Library is a static library that you can add to your Android application in order to use APIs that are either not available for older platform versions or utility APIs that aren't a part of the framework APIs. Compatible on devices running API 14 or later.
AppCompat is a way to get a consistent Material Design look across Android OS versions, particularly to versions older than Android 5.0.
While there are dozens of classes in this artifact, the only one that you will
work with directly (usually) is
AppCompatActivity. If you have your activity
AppCompatActivity, you are requesting to use AppCompat and
to adopt the Material Design look.
If you inherit from
AppCompatActivity, you also need to:
Have a theme that extends from
Theme.AppCompat(or a sub-theme)
app:namespaced attributes for some things in menu and layout resources
- Theming with AppCompat (2016-01-21): Article on how to customize your AppCompat theme to control your app’s look and feel
- Exploring Android: CommonsWare’s hands-on tutorial book builds a complete AppCompat app from scratch
- Sunflower: A gardening app illustrating Android development best practices with Android
- Google’s Architecture Samples
- Latest Stable: 1.1.0
- Latest Release Candidate: 1.2.0-rc01
- Latest Beta: 1.2.0-beta01
- Latest Alpha: 1.3.0-alpha01